Letting go, Moving Forward
Updated: Jul 6, 2018
These mountains you are carrying, you were only suppose to climb. Najwa Zebian
We are often taken by surprise when life changes; a relationship ends, or we loss a job or home. We are not prepared to make that change and to let go of what we knew. I know the healing process begins slowly. We need time to grieve, and to walk through the pain in order to create a new life. Often we do not give ourselves the space and permission to allow endings to wash over us and to give ourselves time to grieve.
We must be willing to let go of the life we planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us - Joseph Campbell
Our life is different from what we had planned or hoped for but, their is a new reality waiting for us. Once we stop looking back and begin to look forward, we will find a new freedom. We will find wonderful and unexpected moments and opportunities to open our hearts to new experiences and people. We can move through the sadness to a place of lightness. We can embrace our new life with joy!
New beginnings are delicate and sacred events - Melody Beattie
I was reading the work of Melody Beattie and I adapted the list below. I think it outlines beautifully the ways, we can take care for ourselves during a major life change and to support starting over again.
1) Let yourself grieve the loss.
2) Remember that what you are going through will not last forever.
3) Give yourself time to heal. Your body needs to rest and digest the change
4) Tell your story to those that support and love you. Telling your story will help you to move past the pain, integrate the new reality and build your resilience.
5) Set small goals each day and feel your own accomplishments. Somedays it might be a simple as taking a shower and eating right.
6) Be tender and kind to yourself.
7) Begin to say yes to new experiences and people
8) Allow yourself to cry and feel angry
9) Give yourself space to figure out what starting over means to you
10) "New beginnings are delicate and sacred events." It is a time to treat yourself with deep compassion and kindness. If you take a step back, don't worry because you have already made the biggest step forward.
Hope you find this helpful on your journey!